New evidence is emerging on a daily basis that points to the gut and the microbiome as the origin of a variety of autoimmune diseases. The Keystone Approach is your guide to this new research, providing a science-backed approach to addressing the root causes of autoimmunity. These causes include:
- A lack of beneficial, immune-calming microbes (“Keystone” species).
- An excess of specific inflammatory gut bacteria or yeast
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Celiac disease
- Food allergy
Through a combination of dietary changes, carefully chosen probiotics, and other supplements, it is possible to address each of these factors. In short, we can heal the gut and restore balance to the microbiome. When we do so, we remove the main triggers that drive inflammation in many autoimmune diseases, particularly those conditions in the “spondylarthropathy” family. This family includes
- Psoriasis/ psoriatic arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Crohn’s disease
- Ulcerative colitis
Key elements of the Keystone Approach are:
- A Mediterranean-based diet, rich in olive oil, fish, and antioxidant-rich fruit and vegetables.
- Limiting starch and sugar intake, to reduce the overgrowth of harmful species.
- Specific probiotics that support our resident immune-calming microbes.
- Strategies to control small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO).
- Carefully chosen natural antimicrobials, where needed.
- Short term elimination of common food allergens, to determine whether you have a sensitivity.
Download a free PDF preview: Keystone Approach Chapters 1 to 3
Or download a free kindle sample on Amazon (US)